Frequently Asked Questions on Car Accidents

Answers from Your Dayton Attorney

You are suffering injury from an accident and you have questions about your case; that is where our firm comes in. At The Attkisson Law Firm, we can help get these questions answered. We have compiled a list of questions that our firm regularly receives. If we haven’t answered your question here, reach out to our team today.

If my injuries are minor, should I seek medical help?

It is important to get medical attention as soon as possible after the accident has occurred. You should provide your physician with a clear history of the accident for a thorough check up.

What should I photograph after the accident?

Make sure that you fully document all aspects of the accident. This includes images of the vehicles, any road defects, the location of the scene of the accident, and your injuries.

What can I be compensated for after the accident?

If you have been injured in an accident, it is likely that you can claim damages after an accident. Here are some of the damages that you can pursue in a car accident lawsuit:
  • Cost of medical care
  • Lost income
  • Physical therapy expenses
  • Future medical care costs
  • Lost future income
  • Pain and suffering
  • Permanent scarring or disfigurement compensation

The insurance company offered me a settlement, should I take it?

Be suspicious of any financial offer that is quickly offered to you by the insurance company. This is a tactic to low ball the settlement and close out a claim before the full cost of the case becomes known. After you accept an offer, you will be unable to pursue compensation in the future. We recommend that you meet with our team to review the settlement before accepting the offer.

How can I get my bills paid?

Depending on the circumstances, the insurance company who caused your accident should pay the medical bills. The issue is, your medical provider will want to be paid immediately but the insurance company won’t pay until you have completed all of your medical treatments. You do have a few options to cover bills in the meantime:
  • Health Insurance - Health insurance companies are often hesitant to pay for injuries from a car accident, but they will still need to cover the costs of your injuries if that is listed under your policy.
  • PIP Coverage - PIP is a coverage option that helps you pay the associated medical costs on a no-fault basis.

Discuss your options with an attorney today!